Winter isn’t always the most motivating time of the year when it comes to working out & sticking to a healthy diet. The cold, wind & rain can make the couch & pizza look pretty appealing! What isn’t appealing however is how you look & feel after a winter like that! There are some things you can do to help improve the motivation & to keep the winter blues & kg’s at bay…..
* Find a training buddy or group to keep you accountable. It’s too easy to pike when it’s only you getting out there.
* Get some warm workout clothes. If you’re rugged up, the cold doesn’t become a factor for leaving the house.
* Set a routine & commit to it. This is where a trainer or training group helps as you have someone keeping you accountable & hassling you if you don’t show up!
* Plan. Lay your workout clothes out the night before if you’re training in the morning, or take your gear ready to go from work so there’s no hassle or hesitation. Tell your family, friends, co workers & training buddies the times & days you are committing to so everyone knows your plans & can help you stay on track.
* Research healthy meals so that you have warm comfort foods that aren’t full of sugar & crap! Soups, stir fries, casseroles, quiches & vege bakes can all be great, healthy options.
* Keep your water intake up. During the colder months it can be easy to forget the water as we aren’t as hot, but keeping well hydrated helps the body function more effectively, decreases fatigue, improves mood & helps to regulate your appetite. All great reasons to keep a water bottle with you at all times! Aim for at least 2 litres per day, more if you are exercising.
* Focus on consistency. This is the key to success all year round. Plan to do something active at least 6 days a week, even if it’s just a short walk. Maintaining a routine makes it easier to keep your health & your weight in check.